December 7, 2018

‘Tis the Season

Every town has a few holiday traditions, and the Outer Banks is no exception! For the past 49 years, Jim and Ann Poulos have made their house into a winter wonderland every Christmas season! The first 10 years in Virginia Beach, and the last 39 years in Kill Devil Hills. And we’re not talking about a few lights… they have  received national recognition many times for their display!

However, this will be the first season without Ann, who sadly passed in August. Before she passed, she didn’t make her husband promise to do the lights, instead she told him, “You’re going to do it.” And that is just what the family is doing! This years lights were officially lit the night of Thanksgiving and will run every night after sunset until the first of the year. It’s been a Christmas tradition for decades for many Outer Banks families and even a few famous people too! The display includes hundreds of thousands of lights, inflatables, hand-made figures, and even flying reindeer! This year, the community pulled together to make sure that the lights would be set to light on Thanksgiving night. To read more about the The Poulos Christmas House tradition, you can visit the Outer Banks Voice article here. The “Christmas House” is located on Ocean Acres Drive for all to enjoy!

poulos-outer-banks-christmas-house

If you’re familiar with Manteo, you may know about the hidden gem, The Christmas Shop. It has been open since 1967 and spreads Christmas cheer throughout the year, even in the warmer months! From ornaments, to lights, to local art, and more, the Christmas Shop is another local favorite that draws guests in from near and far!

When you have the ocean right in your backyard, you should always use that to your advantage! In this case, you will find that many OBX locals love having a holiday oyster roast since the oysters are at their peak! While the oysters are always fresh here and great to eat, it is also a social activity that can be enjoyed with family and friends. If you’re looking for a new tradition for your family, this could be it! Enjoy this Southern Living article on hosting your own oyster roast. Dig in!

Easy Lowcountry Oyster Roast

So whether it’s roasting some marshmallows (or in our case oysters!), picking the perfect Christmas tree, or visiting a lights display – be sure to enjoy this Holiday Season with those you love!

Join the conversation! 73 Comments

1. Adopting a Salvation Army angel tree kid

2. We have a tradition of watching elf and baking Christmas treats!

3. We have a tradition of watching elf and baking Christmas treats!

4. I love hanging the stockings on our mantle!

5. My favorite Christmas tradition is visiting the Poulis house of lights in Nags Head…the kids love to walk around and check out all of the scenes on display. The effort that family puts in every year never disappoints! Even with losing their mother this past year the house still looks amazing…we went tonight!

6. Our favorite holiday tradition is walking through Colonial Williamsburg and seeing the historic decorations on the houses!

7. My favorite holiday tradition is baking cut out cookies with the whole family. I could probably make them myself but I like my family to think I need all their help (one to roll the dough, one to decorate and one to watch the cookies in the oven so they don’t get over baked). It’s now a tradition that we plan for each year. Always a day of fun memories and laughter.

8. My favorite holiday tradition is making Christmas cookies with my family! My least favorite holiday tradition is continuing to lose every Sanderling 12 days of Christmas year after year 😦

9. My favorite holiday tradition is making Christmas cookies with my family! My least favorite holiday tradition is continuing to lose every Sanderling 12 days of Christmas year after year 😦

10. My favorite tradition is baking for my family.

11. Our favorite tradition is after dinner on Christmas eve we all sit and crack open our christmas poppers and wear paper crowns while we open presents!

12. After dinner on Christmas eve we all open poppers and get little gifts and wear crowns on our heads while we open presents and take pictures! It’s my favorite time

13. See “our” Santa on Christmas Day

14. My favorite tradition is going with our family to a local Christmas Tree Farm and choosing the perfect tree to cut down.

15. I love old school caroling with family and friends!!! Seeing the joyful tears on the face of someone who is feeling low warms my heart!!

16. My favorite tradition is decorating the Christmas Tree. I only put Santa ornaments on them because Santa rocks! And friends and family always know what to give me as a present.

17. One of many family traditions I loved was once we got the tree up we all would get egg nog and cookies, sit around the tree and play “I spy with my little eye”!

18. We always get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksiving and spend the weekend decorating. At some point during December we always visit the Poulous house with friends.

• My favorite holiday tradition is decorating the Christmas tree – taking time to carefully unwrap and remember the background of each ornament.